Thursday, June 4, 2009

Summer Schedule



This is something my sister does every summer with her kids. She and another family combine activities and the moms take turns hosting and teaching. I have attached their schedule and what all the color blocks mean. My sister has older kids, and this is more suited for them, but I thought the idea was great and merited passing along. It could be easily tailored to suit the needs of any family.

Here are the categories, as she explained them to me:

Exercise everyday: self explanatory
Cooking with mom: teaching kids kitchen skills
Gospel Study: twice a week they choose a gospel topic and discuss choices and consequences. The two moms take turns teaching/hosting this, so it is more than just a FHE lesson, but you are learning with another family too.
Craft: self explanatory
Learn Something New: This is where they learn a new skill, and invite others to participate (for example, Nate taught this today...he showed the kids how to do stop motion animation and create a movie).
Organize me: learning how to set goals, get organized and keep up with everyone's activities, etc.
Mirror mom: this is when the kids learn how to run the washer, pay bills, etc.
In the Service of Others: A weekly service project, combined with another family.
Lighten Dad's Load: this is where they learn to do things to help their dad. (for example, my sister's kids have been learning how to post items for sale on craig's list, and doing yard work)

Anyhow, I just thought it would be fun to pass along!

No comments:

Post a Comment